What marriage can't fix

Marriage did not remove my husband's same sex attractions.  It didn't make him less gay.  It didn't remove the temptations or desires.  It didn't completely remove his loneliness.  It didn't remove his guilt and shame.

Now let's flip the script.  I was an angry and bitter person when I got married.  Guess what?  Marriage did not remove my anger.  It didn't make me less bitter.  Why would we think marriage would fix us?  I'm so glad he didn't think marrying me would fix him.  Our marriage would have been a huge let down from day one.

Only God can change us.  Sometimes he chooses to remove temptations and sometimes he doesn't.  Paul talked about his thorn in the flesh in 2 Corinthians 12:7-10.

So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.


I can't explain why God chose to eventually remove my anger and bitterness but chose not to remove my husband's same sex attraction.  But I do know that HIS power is made perfect in our weakness.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's been 186 weeks

Healthy SSA Friends

Happy Anniversary