Celibacy is a good option, too

I've spent a lot of time reading books and blogs, listening to podcasts and watching videos about the issue of same sex attraction.  I've long wanted to watch videos from the Revoice conferences. 

This session from Revoice19, was suggested by someone in a mixed-orientation marriage.
How to Become Churches That Cultivate Celibacy and Mixed-Orientation Marriages

While I obviously appreciated the section about churches supporting mixed-orientation marriages, that was not what hit me over the head.  My biggest take-away was about how I have raised my own children.  I have always presumed and encouraged marriage for their future.  I have never even considered, let alone encouraged, celibacy as an option for them.  Why?

Our culture, and church culture in particular, expects marriage as the "norm".  Many people even worship it.  I never really thought I was one of those people, until now.  This past year has taught me a lot about marriage.  It has also taught me about my own expectations and presuppositions.  I think that I have lived my life with marriage on a pedestal.  And I think that I have probably made my children think that not marrying would be a failure on their part.  That makes me concerned.  I hope that it's not too late to let them know that celibacy is a good option, too.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's been 186 weeks

Healthy SSA Friends

Happy Anniversary