Taking sides

I've spent so much time learning about "this world" of same-sex attraction, that I should get an honorary degree when I'm done.  😏   It can get awfully confusing: side A, side B, side X, side Y...  Everyone is taking sides and I'm not sure that's necessarily a good thing.  I started off this blog almost a year ago declaring that we are side B, but I've done a lot of learning since then.

So what does it all mean?  Here is a brief overview.
  • Side A - God does not condemn homosexuality, sexual orientation cannot change, identify as LGBT, gay marriage is encouraged
  • Side B - God condemns homosexual activity but not the homosexual person, sexual orientation cannot change, identify as LGBT, celibacy is encouraged
  • Side Y - God condemns homosexual activity but not the homosexual person, sexual orientation might change, identify as same-sex attracted, traditional marriage or celibacy is encouraged
  • Side X - God condemns homosexual activity and the homosexual person, sexual orientation must change, identify as straight/converted/healed, traditional marriage or celibacy is encouraged

For further reading on this topic, I recommend Gabriel and Aaron.

I also recently came across this chart (below) and, being the nerdy type that I am, decided to dissect it.  To death.  So, first of all the bias comes across really quickly when you realize that the first 3 columns have a section titled "Opposed to", while the last column has a section titled "Promotes."  Also, the names given to the viewpoints in columns 1-3 seem negative, while the name given to viewpoint 4 is very positive.  Hmmm, I wonder which viewpoint the author of this chart holds to???  Additionally, I disagree with the groupings of columns 1 and 2 with a large divide and then columns 3 and 4.  Why?  Let's rename these columns with the more accepted terminology.

  • Revel = Side A
  • Resist = Side B
  • Renounce = Side Y
  • Rebuild = Side X


The chart creator places the great divide between side B and side Y.  He does this because the biggest issue to him is clearly the identity issue.  If you identify as LGBT you are on one side, and if you don't you are on the other.  I see his point.  However, I think theology is a much larger issue than identity!  So, if I were recreating this chart (and maybe I will), I would place the large divide between Side A and Side B.  To the left of the divide is a progressive, pro-gay view of scripture and to the right of the divide (sides B, Y, and X) is a traditional, conservative view of scripture.  This to me is the most important divide and honestly the only factor that should divide believers - adherence to scripture.  I might also put a smaller divide in my chart, between sides Y and X, making two extremes - Side A on the far left and side X on the far right.  In my opinion, sides B and Y are actually more closely aligned.  As with any topic in life, it's hard to nail down exact positions and put people into neat little boxes.  Everything is on a continuum and this is no different.

So, while I started off this blog announcing that we are side B, now I'd say we fluctuate somewhere between B and Y.  Does that change anything?  Probably not.  In fact, it saddens me that people will argue and divide over these issues, literally "taking sides".  I don't believe that honors God or other people.  As long as our theology is solid, taking scripture at its word, then let's allow nuances and terminology to be set aside in order to honor God.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's been 186 weeks

Healthy SSA Friends

Happy Anniversary