Thankfulness


This month we are keeping a journal of thankfulness.  We are keeping it simple - just a small notebook in our bedroom with a pen nearby.  Every day we each write down something we are thankful for, without duplicating anything.  It's funny how on some days I can think of several things and other days I'm at a loss of what to write.  And that is truly ridiculous because I have SO MUCH to be thankful for.  

What we focus on will determine how we feel, how we think, and how we act.  What we focus on will also shape our beliefs - beliefs about the world, those around us, and even ourselves.  Clearly our focus is important and we should be aware of what are focusing on.  Right now we are choosing to focus on what we are thankful for and that is proving to be helpful in so many other areas.

Maybe you are thinking, "But you don't understand just how difficult my life is right now!  I can't be thankful!"  I get it.  I have felt that.  This week I read an article that dealt with this exact issue.  It also mentioned a story I had heard before about Corrie ten Boom.  While suffering in a concentration camp, her sister taught her to be thankful for everything, even things that seemed terrible.  They thanked God for the fleas - fleas! - and yet later those fleas kept the guards away and the women had more freedom and less punishment.  I'm not sure I could thank God for fleas.  I'm not always sure I can thank God for my marriage.  Yet, in time He can use even hard things for our good and for His glory.  So let's choose to be thankful.


Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. - 1 Thessalonians 5:18

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good.  His love endures forever. - Psalm 118:29, 136:1



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's been 186 weeks

Healthy SSA Friends

Happy Anniversary