Worries

Worries... we all have them.  Women in mixed-orientation marriages, we have a lot!  It's just so outside of the mainstream idea of love and marriage.  It brings out a lot of insecurity, fear, and worry.  It often feels lonely.

Worrying is defined as: giving way to anxiety; allowing one's mind to dwell on difficulties or troubles.  These actually give great insight on how to fight against worry in our lives.  First of all, don't give way.  When we give way to anxiety we are putting it first and letting it have control in our lives.  The antidote to giving way to anxiety is to put God first, where he belongs.  "Seek the kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."  (Matt 6:33)  Secondly, don't allow your mind to dwell on your troubles.  We are called to take our thoughts captive and to fix our thoughts on, or dwell on, things that are true, pure, lovely, and excellent (2 Cor 10:3-5, Phil 4:8).

If all I do is focus on the negative aspects of my marriage and how unwanted same-sex attraction has negatively affected me, I will be miserable.  Instead, I'm choosing to focus on the true, pure, lovely, and excellent parts of my husband and our marriage.  I'm trying to take my thoughts captive and make them obedient.

How do I do this?  How do I put God first and fix my mind on truth?  The key is prayer.  "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.  Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.  Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand.  His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." (Phil 4:6-7)  And isn't that what we really want... peace?  After all, "Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?" (Matt 6:27) - of course not!  "So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries.  Today's trouble is enough for today." (Matt 6:34)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's been 186 weeks

Healthy SSA Friends

Happy Anniversary